Sunday April 18th 2010
Went to bed with my mind racing wondering if our bundle of joy would be arriving soon. My Braxton-Hicks contractions had been getting closer together but not getting any stronger over the last few days.
Monday April 19th 2010
3:00 am - Woke up with contractions that were quite a bit stronger and seemed closer together... just when I thought I was going to fall back asleep another one would come upon me. I started timing while I was still laying in bed - 10 minutes apart. I decided to get up for a little while and see if the continued... they did.
4:30 am - I went back to bed and tried to get some more rest, but again every time I was about to doze off another contraction would start. They were still only mildly painful at this point, but I had a good feeling this was early labor.
6:45 am - Nathan's alarm goes off and we discuss whether he should get ready for work. I tell him to go ahead... even if it was early labor, I was doing well and his route for the day wouldn't take him more than 45 minutes away from me.
7:00 am - I texted Mom to see if she was awake and it was like she was waiting by the phone for my call. We pretty much came to the conclusion that we thought I was in labor and now my brain wouldn't stop. I got up, ate some breakfast, made sure I had everything packed for the hospital and took a bath/shower, and then just did whatever I could to keep myself busy.
The contractions pretty much continued 10-12 minutes apart until after lunch and then were 8-12 minutes apart. Nathan got home around 1:30 and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. They really seemed to be getting stronger and I needed him to keep me focused. I tried to rest at this point, but the contractions were so much worse when laying down, so back up I was.
It seems things changed from 8-12 minutes to 6-8 minutes pretty quickly and then we were scrambling to get everything in the car and be on our way!
5:00 pm - left for the hospital with contractions 5 minutes apart
6:20 pm - finally evaluated and admitted... 3-4 cm dilated and 100% effaced.
Things started progressing pretty quickly from here and now the details become a little fuzzy in my mind... I was able to get a little bit to eat and spent some time on the birthing ball. It was just after 8:00 (I know the time at this point because we were going to try and watch 24 to take our minds off of everything, but the contractions were getting so much stronger that we shut it off) and I was already starting to feel some pressure so we checked again... 6-7 cm.
We got in the tub (at appx 9:00 pm) at 8+ cm and spent about 45 minutes there. The urge to push was so strong at this point that I don't really remember the contractions... just fighting the urge to push.
When I got out of the tub I was 9+ and my water still hadn't broke. There was a small bubble on the outside of the cervix that was holding things up. After several more contractions they decided to let me push to see if I could break it and it finally did. It was 10:50 pm when I started pushing and 11:16 pm when Adisyn made her debut. We were instantly IN LOVE!!!
Oh... I guess I never mentioned... NO MEDS... I DID IT ALL NATURAL!!! I couldn't have done it without Nathan! He was an absolutely amazing partner and kept me on track with my breathing when the urge to push had me screaming instead of breathing. I am still in awe of the miracle of conception, pregnancy, labor and delivery. We have some amazing pictures and I can still remember everything (well most everything) like it was yesterday!
No comments:
Post a Comment